Well, after several months I finally finished the quilt top for my son. The picture does not do it justice as the colors are off. The ‘yellow’ is actually more of a lime green and the dark purple border is actually a black with different colored dots. Now I’m just waiting to find a place where I can lay out the layers and baste the quilt to prepare for quilting.
This is a bead embroidery bracelet in progress.
And here is the finished bracelet! I’m very pleased with the finished art!
This is a beaded bracelet and keychain I made for my great niece. She seemed to like them!
And this is my current project, another beaded bracelet.
I have enjoyed the time working with my beads again and hope that the beads stay out of storage long enough for me to make some projects for Christmas gifts this year!
The picture above is the Dragon Star Quilt Pattern by Judy Niemeyer of Quiltworx. I love her patterns and have always wanted to try one so this week I began the process. My colors are all blues and greens and I hope it turns out just as great as the one pictured above. I’m using only batiks in my quilt. I spent hours, probably close to 10 hours, pulling batiks from my stash, going to the store to spend another hour picking out more batiks and then back home again pulling out more batiks from my stash trying to get the right blend and contrast as well as value, tone, etc. I think at this point only the final product will show if I am successful. Finally, I was ready to sew! NO! I spent several hours cutting out all the pattern pieces, putting them into numbered baggies and making copies of the extra pieces I would need on my extremely s l o w home printer! Finally I was ready to sew the first pieces. This is a paper-pieced quilt so it will be time consuming but perfect. It was already 7pm last night and I know better than to sew when I’m tired because then I make mistakes….and I hate ripping! So, I sat down to watch some tv but kept looking over at that little black featherweight and I just had to get up and try out the first two colors. Well, the very center of the star has 8 pieced sections. I sewed one, perfect! I sewed two, two mistakes. UGGGG… I finished the second one and made the intelligent decision to put it aside until the next day! So, today is sewing day but first I must venture out into the world and go to the grocery store and the post office before I allow myself to sew because I know that once I sit down the day will fly by and I still won’t have groceries!
I’m so glad to be finished with step 2! Whew! 1,464 pieces sewn on the diagonal. After I cut out all of the pieces I saw a post on the Quiltville Yahoo group that showed one member cutting long strips, sewing them together and then cutting the pieces out on the diagonal….wish I’d read that before I cut out over 1,700 pieces (yes, yes, I know…I lost count and just kept cutting and cutting and cutting)! But, step 2 is finished and I’m pleased with the accuracy of my blocks!
Now…on to step 3…and I’m behind because step 5 has already been released! Back to the sewing machine!
Bonnie Hunter is offering a free mystery quilt along on her website http://www.quiltville.com The colors she chose reminded her of Ireland. My goal in the next year is to craft using supplies from my stash as much as possible. Bonnie chose blues (color of sky) oranges and yellows (for the solstice), greens (obviously for the lush greens of Ireland) and whites. Because I’m making this from my stash I’m using batiks (because I love, love, love batiks so I have more batiks than other cotton fabric) so my colors will be blues, off white (lighter backgrounds), browns (supplemented for the oranges), blues, greens and I’m still working on the yellows. I may have to supplement my yellows stash with a couple of yards from Oklahoma Quiltworks and I’m okay with that as long as the bulk of the fabric comes from my stash!
She released Part 1 Friday and I just finished Part 1, I’m making the king size, 111″ x 111″, so I made 140 brown triangle in blue square pieces that were 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″; I also made 240 light background in blue square pieces! I used the tri-req tools which made the pieces very accurate! I’m also sewing this entire quilt on my Singer Featherweight sewing machine. I’m ready for Part 2!
Last night when I left work I spent about ten minutes scraping ice off my car windows and my fingers were frozen! I had a cheap pair of gloves in the car that did little to protect my fingers and I decided this morning when I looked out at the ice covering everything from leaves to the fence that I needed warmer mittens. I began searching through knitting patterns and found several but then thought about sewing a pair after seeing the cutest pair of quilted mittens. So, I shifted gears and began searching for sewing patterns for mittens. I found several free downloadable patterns but remembered I had a mitten pattern from Hancock’s Fabric Store and five minutes later I had the pattern in hand. Than I noticed the double sided suede fabric that I had purchased sometime in the past to make pillows and thought they would make a very warm pair of mittens quickly. I traced the pattern, cut out the mittens and sewed them together and the whole process took approximately 30 minutes! They do feel extremely warm but the real test will be outside in the elements! My younger came over and I showed him the mittens and he asked if I could make him a pair so my goal this weekend is to make another pair of mittens for him to keep in his truck.